About the Albertus Institute
The Institute has been established to provide a forum to encourage an open dialogue between science, religion and other forms of intellectual discipline. It also offers opportunities for Christians and, in particular, members of the Catholic Church to enter public debate on these matters.
The Institute is named after St Albert the Great (d.1280), often referred to as Albertus Magnus. Albert was a German Dominican friar and a bishop who achieved fame for his comprehensive knowledge of and advocacy for the peaceful coexistence of science and religion.
The Institute is based at the Parish of St Albert the Great, the Catholic Chaplaincy which serves the universities of Edinburgh, Scotland. The Institute has the support of the English Province of the Order of Preachers (Dominicans).
It is run by a Scottish charitable company limited by guarantee. Directors of the company are John Sibbald (Chairman), Rev Dr John O'Connor OP of the Dominican Community in Edinburgh, Dr William Moyes and Jeffrey Meek CA. Fr Fergus Kerr OP, FRSE, is the Institute's Honorary President.